10 Things In My Life Made Possible By Going Tiny

If there is one thing I want everyone who reads this blog to understand it's that deliberate living is never about the house. The tiny lifestyle isn't about finding the smallest space possible and moving in. It is about making the most of the space you have, creating the life you want, and enjoying the process.

But, there are a lot of specific lessons I have learned over the years. And there are many things we have been able to do because of the tiny house.

This is my list of 10 things the tiny house made possible in my life. Your list will be different, but I am hoping this gives you some inspiration to continue on your journey to living deliberately in whatever form that takes.


1. I Started My Own Business

I have always wanted to be a writer. But for a long time, I talked myself out of it. It wasn't practical. I needed to be practical. So I spent 15 years in a career that I didn't love, but I was good at. Finally, building the tiny house gave me the courage to start writing full time. 4 years later, I am still writing full time.
Meeting Kai Rostcheck

2. We Bought a Small Home

If we hadn't built the tiny house, reduced our expenses, ditched our mortgage, and moved to Asheville, we would have never been able to be in the right place at the right time for a 700 square foot 1948 bungalow in town.

3. We Have More Time To Travel

I love to travel. I love to experience new places and have adventures. I love going to another city, or another country, and seeing what life is like there for the people who call it home. Without a mortgage and without a 9-to-5 job, I can do that.

4. We Could Join a CSA


Okay, this sounds like pretty small potatoes (see what I did there?), but I love being able to get fresh, local foods and supporting local farmers. Sure, we could have done this in our big house, I but I didn't even know it was an option then. I'm glad I learned.

5. I'm Able to Think Outside The Box

Quitting a job, building a tiny home, and moving to a new city are all huge changes. I was able to do them because I refused to look at problems with only black and white solutions. Necessity is the mother of invention.
Traveling to London

6. I Have Opportunities for Speaking Engagements

I had no idea that I liked talking to large groups of people. I had no idea that I liked to answer questions or help people learn from my own journey. I get to do that now and I get to visit all kinds of places and meet all kinds of people.

7. Our Community Has Expanded All Over the World


Speaking of, I am also grateful that I am a part of this collective tiny house community. I have never been disappointed by meeting another person living the tiny life. We are all risk takers, and we all have a similar philosophy.

8. I learned How Houses Work

I cannot stress this enough! Before, if something broke in our house I felt helpless to fix it. Now, I've put together an entire house by hand so I know, even in our bungalow, that if something breaks I can figure out how to fix it.
Podcasting with Drew Odom at the Tiny House Conference

9. We're Involved in Local Issues

Building a tiny house gave me all of these opportunities, and more, so it only seemed natural to work within my community to give more people the chance of changing their lives. That is why we started Asheville SHAC.

10. I Get to Do More Projects with Matt

All right, here's a sentimental softball for you. Matt and I were already doing a lot of crazy things before we ever started building the tiny house. But because we built this house, we get to continue doing a lot more crazy things. Stay tuned! 

Comments

  1. This amazing! Reading about your journey gave me the extra jolt of energy I needed to reassure myself about my own tiny house dreams! Also, dreaming of becoming a writer and since that was your first thing, I was like EEEK! I CAN DO THIS! So proud of you for following your dreams! Keep the momentum going! YOU ROCK!

    -Coral

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello :),

    I stumbled upon your blog on tinyhousetalk and love everything about it (thanks for sharing)! I am a Corporate and Public Communications graduate student at Monmouth University interested in studying the sense of community inspired by Tiny House Communities (THC). For my graduate thesis I am looking at how people communicate about tiny houses, what the community does for them, and why they choose to get involved with the movement.

    If you or anyone you know who is a part of or who is interested in tiny houses could spare 15 minutes to complete my survey, I would really appreciate it! Thank you for all you do for the THC

    You can find the survey at: https:/monmouthpolling.co1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_6PTVeWKLsH1j4QR


    All the best,
    -Ashley Medina

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comment will appear after moderation! Thanks for visiting!