My Tiny Home Office Redux: The World is My Office

Three years ago I wrote this blog post about my tiny office.

Small home office set up in Savannah
Not too much has changed when it comes to how I work in a tiny space. Matt and I both still work from home.

Over the last few years I have spent a lot of time focusing on location independence. The tiny house gave us security to be able to travel more and because of that we spend a lot of time away from home traveling. Since we moved into the tiny house we have:
  • Camped for 1 week every summer. 
  • Spent 2 months in Michigan with family for the holidays in 2012. (And shorter visits in 2013 and 2014)
  • Visited friends in New Mexico and Arizona.
  • Spent 10 days in London.
  • Traveled for a month this winter going to St. Augustine, Savannah, Charleston, and Wilmington NC. 
  • Spent 10 days in Portland for the Tiny House Conference.
There has been more, too. For us, living in the tiny house was about more than spending our lives in a small space. It was about expanding our space to encompass the world. Because we will always have the tiny house, which is paid for, we have a place to return no matter where our travels take us.

For this reason, my tiny home office is still a backpack-style laptop case. In it I have my computer, headset for important calls, and my wireless internet hotspot. Since moving into the tiny house I have also upgraded to an iPhone which makes some work on the go even easier. I do also keep a notebook, portfolio, business cards, and stationary with me.

Location independent work and the people who do it, who are often referred to as Technomads, is a highly rewarding experience. Before quitting my job I didn't think it would be possible either, but now three years later my own business is going strong and I am grateful to be able to work from anywhere.

Do you want to work from anywhere? What do you want to to know about my tiny, portable home office and how to be location independent.

Comments

  1. i'd LOVE to work from anywhere! my plan, dream, is to obtain a tiny house of my own in the near future and to create a business where i can work from any location. i really enjoy your blog. thank you so much for sharing your experience.

    cindy :)
    www.yogaandalatte.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, thank you for sharing your experience. It sounds like you worked from home before you moved into your tiny house. If not, how did you go about finding location independent work? Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great question, Phyillis.

      I did not work from home before moving into my tiny house. It was all part of the same journey. I put in my notice and then left my job in corporate America just a couple of weeks before moving in.

      Before the tiny house I worked for 15 years as a recruiter in the temporary staffing industry. I was good at it, and comfortable, but felt unfulfilled.

      You can read more about how I got started as a freelance writer here: http://www.lmlavoie.com/2013/08/becoming-freelance-writer-how-i-got.html

      Delete

Post a Comment

Your comment will appear after moderation! Thanks for visiting!