Three Years Tiny


In May of 2012, Matt and I packed up our cars and drove for one last time from our former home in Atlanta to our new, tinier home near Asheville.

Three years ago I had just quit my job.

Three years ago the smallest place I had ever lived was 800 square feet if you don't count my college dorm room.

Three years ago I had no idea if I could make a living on my own.

Three years ago I only knew a handful of people in Asheville.

Today, in June of 2015, I can say that moving into our tiny house was the single best thing we have ever done. It forced me to step outside of my comfort zone. It gave me security to try something new. It put us in a city where we wanted to get involved and felt like we could make a difference.

This is why the hearing on the proposed changes to ADU regulations in the city of Asheville was important to me. Living tiny, reducing my expenses, and paying off my debt has led to my success as an independent business owner and a member of the Asheville community. I want to pay it forward and give others this change. 

So much has changed in the last three years. The biggest change has been in me.

I don't know where my life will take me in the next three years. Or thirty years. But I am grateful for every step in the process.

What has tiny living given you? 

Comments