Happy Anniversary, Life in 120 Square Feet!

5 years ago today, on St. Patrick's Day, I started this tiny house blog. 

Before that, I had been sharing our build progress over on LiveJournal. (I think that might show my age!) The only place you could see photos was on my Flickr page (now a link at the top of this page.)

But then in early 2010 a little blog called The Tiny Life shared some photos and a small piece of our story. Suddenly I had other people - people I didn't even know - asking me about my build.

March of 2010 was still pretty early in what is now the Tiny House Movement. People knew Jay Shafer and Dee Williams but there weren't very many online resources about how to build a tiny house or stories of average DIY builders who did it themselves. The few that were out there were huge resources for us so I figured it might be a good idea to share my story as well.

And so I wrote this:
If you're just tuning in, my husband Matt and I are building a Tarleton, designed by Jay Shafer.  It really all started a few years ago.  Matt has always been interested in building and especially sustainable or self sufficient building.  We spent time researching other types of alternative building including Cordwood Masonry and Earthships.  Then one day our friend Nicole told us that she saw this guy on Oprah who built a tiny house on a trailer.  And our love of the Tumbleweed Tiny House began.  We had the pleasure of meeting Jay Shafer at a workshop in Asheville about a year and a half ago and after talking with him about the building and our ideas we knew the house was for us. We bought plans for the Tarleton and got to work on the 15 acres we owned in Western North Carolina.  You may see that we named our mountain after my husband. [Mt. Matt]  He is a funny, funny guy. 
I can't believe it has been 5 years since I started this blog and 6 years since we began building. I am so grateful and fortunate for every opportunity this journey has given us.

Thank you for reading.

Comments