Live Deliberately: Loving Where You Live

I know plenty of people who can make home anywhere. They want their friends and families around and the place is not their biggest concern.

I learned a long time ago that I was not that kind of person. I spent a lot of time in my 20s and 30s trying to find the one place on this planet that made me feel happy.

So I traveled. I went to all kinds of places here in the US. I visited Italy and Ireland.  And I took an opportunity to move to Atlanta, Georgia when it was presented to me.

I was very lucky to find what I was looking for in Asheville, North Carolina.

I could tell you about all the amazing things that I love about Asheville. I can tell you about how the mountains honestly make me more calm and at ease. I can tell you about the people in this small but not small town and how there is a real sense of community here. I can tell you all about the amazing food and beer.

But this post is not about that.

I believe that there is a place, or maybe a bunch of places, that are right for every individual. Places where you feel like you belong.

Here are a couple things that I have learned along the way.

1. Once you find a place the rest can be figured out.
2. The place can't fix things for you.
3. The place makes you a better person.

You are the only person who can know how you feel when you arrive in the place you were meant to be. Other people can tell you about how much they love where they live but they can't make you fall in love with it.

When you find the place you feel like you are meant to live the rest will fall into place. You can find a job or make a living. You can find a home. You can find a community. It may not be easy, but loving the place where you are will help with the adjustment.

If something is not right in your life the place itself can't fix it for you. In other words, you can't run away from your problems. They will catch up with you. Don't use a move as a substitute for improving your life.

You will know you're in the right place for you if it makes you want to be a better person. Do you want to become a part of the community? Do you want to get involved? Do you want to make it a better place? Once a place gets under your skin it is hard to give it up. Whenever you're away you can't help but thinking of going home. 

Do you love where you live? If not, what do you think would be ideal for you?


Comments

  1. I like where I live, but don't love it. My ideal isn't very far away (1/2 day's trip via car)...and I am in love there! The main thing holding me back is property taxes in that place...it saddens me a great deal - and I'm afraid I should give up my ideal, and leave it to the rich folk who buy 2nd homes there. I haven't lost all hope, but it's so hard when you know that fighting property taxes would be nearly impossible...and I'd have to pick up another job just to pay those taxes. It's funny - cause I can actually afford the homes...but not at the tax rate. Sigh....maybe it is hopeless....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes, all very true. I love where I live. I live in Portland Oregon. Moved here from Cincinnati, Ohio. Funny thing, I just did it. I didn't know much about this place, but I know I loved the Pacific Northwest. Thought I'd just go for it. Many people thought I was a bit crazy. I didn't have any family or friends out here and again, didn't know much about it. When I got here, there was this amazing feeling of home. I get it often when I'm out and about, especially in the Nature out here. Tears of happiness fill my eyes and I say with disbelief, " I LIVE here! I'm not on vacation, I REALLY live here!".

    -Shell

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to leave Wild Mountain (my perfect home) but go there twice a week to spend time with the horses. I long for my home, where the only human-made noises were ones we made (or a plane or two). no cars, no neighbors. I go to the forest (my real home) every single day that I can. I love my town, but the love the wildness more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE where I live. I'm in the shadow of the Cumberland Plateau and could not be happier. I love our little mountain. I love our little home. I love our animals. I love the 1/4 mile drive. I love the life we have made. I'm so happy we made this change. You're right. The right place makes you want to be a better person...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comment will appear after moderation! Thanks for visiting!