A Rainy Day on the Mountain

This morning was beautiful. The sun was shining and the sky was a stunning shade of perfect blue. We ate our lunch outside on the Folk N' Ale - cheese, salami, and crackers.

Piglet sleeping in the warm and dry tiny house.
Now, the sky is dark and it is raining. These pop up showers are completely normal in the mountains of Western North Carolina. They are caused by weather fronts backing up over the mountains. Matt was outside clearing an area under two large trees for us to do our next outdoor project. He called to tell me he walked all the way up to the ridge where there are huge granite outcroppings. He is waiting out the rain under a large rock ledge.

I was about to put the laptop away because I am done with my work for the day when I thought of this poem by Shel Silverstein. Enjoy.

Rain
 
I opened my eyes
And looked up at the rain,
And it dripped in my head
And flowed into my brain,
And all that I hear as I lie in my bed
Is the slishity-slosh of the rain in my head.

I step very softly,
I walk very slow,
I can't do a handstand--
I might overflow,
So pardon the wild crazy thing I just said--
I'm just not the same since there's rain in my head.

Comments

  1. Glad to know that the popup showers are normal there. Love "Rain"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved that, thanks: ) Namaste

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shel, you made me do it with that wicked craic you wrote. Here's a beautiful toast I heard years ago in the west of Ireland..spoken by the groom to his bride.to.be:

    Here's to the roses and lilies in bloom,
    You in my arms, and I in your room.
    A door that is locked, a key that is lost.
    A bird, a bottle, and a bed badly tossed,
    And a night 50 years long.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Late to this party, but the Silverstein poem made my day. Any discussion of summer thunderstorms and rain are a sure shot to the droll of work.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comment will appear after moderation! Thanks for visiting!