Our Nomadic Winter

Having your story published on a major website like the Huffington Post generates some pretty interesting comments. People on the Internet are often negative or, worse, hurtful with their written words. Do they realize there are real human beings behind each of these stories?

However, several readers mentioned that we don't have real tiny house cred because we built a "Summer Cabin."

Let me ask you this: Why would we have built a summer cottage as our only home? Why would we chose to be essentially homeless in the winter months with no where else to go?

Our "summer" cabin is our only home and we made some interesting choices to not winterize it. Partly because we are 200 vertical feet up the mountain without road access. Partly because all of our water is from a spring on the land and who knows if it will flow in the winter. And most importantly because we decided to travel for the holidays. We moved to the south a decade ago and we saw our families and friends only about once a year. We wanted to spend time with everyone while we could and with a location independent lifestyle, this was possible.

If we had not built the tiny house this would not have been possible. I use to be a ball of stress around the holidays because I felt pressure from my job. I was there for a long time and I always requested time off at Christmas. However, this meant that no one else in my office could take time off to travel to see their family for the holiday. This was not fair, but it was the only solution I had. Christmastime is extremely important to Matt and his family and I certainly wanted to be part of that and be able to see my family as well. This year we can spend two months in our hometown because we aren't tied to any one place. My new life has given me freedom to be wherever I want to be whenever I want to be there. It was because we took our time building a tiny house in the woods that I was able to reduce my expenses and be able to take the leap to be self employed.

This was a conscious choice and an opportunity. And opportunity to live unconventionally in more ways than one. This is our life and no matter what anyone says I am extremely happy with it.

*Edited to Add:
Matt reminded me that the tiny house is livable in the winter. It is rustic, but it is possible. But always looking on the bright side and not letting the internet trolls get him down he also reminded me that we made the choice to travel during the winter because we can. I am not going to let the haters get me down. This is the life I've built for myself, not for anyone else. 

Comments

  1. I just want to give you both a big hug and say congrats. How many other people are willing to live their dreams and travel whenever they want to. It great to read about your life choices, the ups, the downs, and the in betweens. Keep on keeping on, life is only what we make it. Others are just jealous they are stuck in a dead end job with no freedom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a few words to say, first being that the shallow and feeble minded ridicule what they do not understand. Your story is an amazing one. In an age where people can press a button for instant gratification the choice to actually toil and remain happy is an unfathomable concept to many. Obviously, you don't need my validation, or that of the masses. Your experiences, your triumphs-- the intangible treasures which you hold are the reward which many will not perceive because they have been told that for every want there is a box on a store shelf awaiting their dollars.

    Another point too, venomous criticism is easy to dish out, yet these rocket scientists have not offered any solutions to "problems" that you or anyone else thinking of following suit may run into. Wool batting insulation for the winter time (eco friendly, flame retardant, and more benefits!) . A marine/ camp stove for heating and possibly winter cooking to save on precious electricity. Water source is far from the dwelling? Perhaps a rainwater barrel/ cistern would be a cool thing to have. I know the Amish in PA use windmills to draw well water.

    Thank you for sharing your adventures and experiences with us all. Don't let those lacking in grey matter get you down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been following your blog for several months now and find it extremely fascinating and informative. My husband and I live part time in NC fairly near to where you are and have been renovating an older house. The first year we were here, we did not have any heat in our house and with single pane windows, it was very miserable so I understand the reason for shutting down for the winter. One of the main reasons why you decided to downsize was to have time for more important things in life, like your family. I applaud you for jumping out of the rat race and for not giving into our cultural definition of success (more stuff). Please keep writing regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you won't let negative comments slow you down. I've followed your blog for some time and I think you've accomplished something truly amazing. I hope you enjoy your winter travels!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A word of advise:
    If you are going to be in the public eye, grow a thick skin and learn how to just ignore some people. There are people who will find something negative to say even if they have to make it up themselves. Some people just aren't happy unless they are putting someone else down. Some people think that since the internet is "anonymous", they can say and do anything they want and not be held responsible for their actions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actually maybe you should consider renaming the blog life as a Nomadic in the 21st century. It's awesome what you have created for yourselves!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been following along and catching up on your posts since I have come across your blog a couple months ago.

    Making any kind of change to your life is not an easy proposition. We have become conditioned to the idea that a house in the suburbs, two cars and a massive amount of debt is the only way to achieve the American Dream and find happiness.

    What you are doing is really cool. There will always be those who will take their shots and that is fine. They just don't get it and they likely never will... sucks to be them!

    I hope you continue onward with living your life the way you want. Have a great time with your family during the holidays!

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no! No, don't even *read* unmoderated comments. I mean, I suppose they are people too, the ones commenting, but since the conversation usually degenerates by the third comment (if they're productive at all), what's the point? Why give them the audience, really. It's a carnival of sloppy logic, negativity, and bitterness. No no no no.

    Of course you go visiting, because you're the ones with the time and freedom to go to people who don't have that mobility. It wouldn't matter if your house was big enough to host everyone else you know for four months, since no one but you has the option of spending that much time away from home, right? It's actually the same for me just being the one single person whose friends all have kids. Actually, they complain about my freedom too, but good-naturedly, as they're my *friends*. HA!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comment will appear after moderation! Thanks for visiting!