Happy Thanksgiving from 120 Square Feet

I miss my tiny house every day since we are not spending the holidays in it. I miss the simplicity. I miss the stillness of nature. I miss the mountains. I miss Asheville.

So I thought it would be appropriate to mark Thanksgiving with a post about gratitude.

Not only am I grateful for all the things I listed above, I am grateful for many more. (Presented here in the colors of Autumn because, well, why not?)

I am grateful to have a partner who is truly a partner. Someone with compatible dreams and goals. Someone with whom I can suggest some crazy ideas and he won't think I'm off my rocker.

I am grateful to have found a place that I want to call home. A place that makes me feel alive and rich with possibilities. A city that I can finally say is a place that I belong. 


I am grateful to be part of a strong and growing community of tiny house builders. We live all over the country but with the marvels of modern technology we are a video chat away from each other. 


I am grateful to be able to do work that I love. I never wake up dreading my day and wishing I could just go back to bed. I never play those games thinking "maybe I should just call in sick today" or come home crying after a particularly trying day. 

I am grateful for being engaged with my life. I love everything from emptying the gray water bucket to cooking dinner outside and relaxing on the Folk N' Ale as the sun sets on the mountain. I love going in to town whether it is for fun with friends or to do laundry at Bar of Soap. 

I am grateful for developing a taste for beer. I know this sounds trite, but beer is such a wonderful thing. I use to find it "yucky" but I just wasn't drinking the right stuff. Asheville made me love beer and beer made me love Asheville back. 

I am grateful for supportive family and friends. People who love to come up to the mountain and see what we do or willing to take us in when we visit their area. I am really glad we have such wonderful people in our lives. 


I am grateful for Piglet. Our nearly 12 year old girl has the constitution of a kitten and I'm glad she love us. 


There are so many things to be grateful for and I think we should all take time to express it all year long rather than reserving it for just one day or just one season.

If the only prayer you ever say in your whole life is "thank you," that would suffice. - Meister Eckhart

Comments

  1. Hi Laura,
    I hope you had a great Thanksgiving!
    I enjoyed your post and identify very much with missing your Tiny House as well connecting to your won gratitude. It is important to stop, breathe and realize the things in life that are gifted to us!
    Speaking of which... everything awesome seems to be happening in Asheville! This community is coming up on my feeds over and over and over again! Synchronicity my Tiny House Twin? I think that it is not just you and your partner, but there are loads of tiny houses there, an amazingly great music scene, a huge environmental group, loads of hugely health conscience people, and spiritual movement going on there... perhaps all the same people... but like you they are totally active!
    I am thinking I will try to visit there, if I can get some things arranged. Would you be up to showing me around? I would really like to see your house.
    xo
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do let me know if you plan a trip to Asheville. I would love to show you around this town and check out all things tiny! You are right in your assessment of Asheville - all of those things are vibrant and awesome. And don't forget the beer scene! Please feel free to email me directly at lmlavoie at gmail dot com!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Your comment will appear after moderation! Thanks for visiting!