Tiny House Entertainment

A question we have been asked a lot by friends and strangers alike is "Won't you get bored?" I have thought this a rather strange questions because I just can't imagine being bored when I am surrounded by these woods and am so close to Asheville.

But, the question is asked often enough I thought I might share some insight on what we do to keep ourselves entertained in our tiny life.

  • Cooking. As you have seen, we make cooking an event here in our little house. We like to experiment with new techniques. Sometimes we cook indoors, sometimes we cook out doors. Sometimes we cook just for ourselves, sometimes we cook with friends. We make it a group event and enjoy the process as much as we enjoy the outcome. 
  • Building. Someone recently asked Matt that since the house was now finished did he miss the building process. He had to admit he did. So we keep building stuff!  We built our outdoor kitchen. And now we are working on a 12x12 deck in the clearing behind the house that will be a place to hang out, play music, eat, and enjoy the woods. I promise to post photos when it is done. 
  • Games. Even before we moved, Matt and I would play online games with friends from all over the country. We use to play Lord of the Rings Online and now we play Star Wars The Old Republic. It is still a great way to be social and enjoy an activity. We have a couple of table top games to play like Munchkin and Fluxx.
  • Movies and TV. We don't have a conventional TV or cable but that doesn't mean we are cut off from the world of television and movies. We primarily use a tablet for these functions and we have countless options. We have used Netflix and Hulu but right now I am digging Google Play. We also catch up on old shows we didn't watch the first time.
  • Hiking. We started out doing a lot of this, then it got super hot. Then we went camping. We need to get back to hiking but the trails aren't going anywhere as far as we know. We also have plenty of places on our own land to wander through.
  • Reading. I've always been an avid reader, but it was usually relegated to a half an hour before bed or maybe on weekends. Now I find that a time when I would have turned on the television to watch reality shows on TLC I will curl up on the sofa with Piglet and read instead. 
  • Asheville. We moved to this area for a reason. We love the city of Asheville and all it has to offer. Day or night there is something fun to do. We recently discovered a great movie theater just south of the city, The Carolina (now owned by Cinemark). We love the bars and breweries, of course. Yesterday we discovered a little shop where you can taste dozens of olive oils and balsamic vinegars. We spent quite a bit of time there. 

Comments

  1. Sounds like a wonderful and relaxing life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have internet? If so how?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do. We use a Verizon MiFi Wireless Hot Spot. We also have it connected to an antenna that sits on the metal roof which boosts the signal to 4G. Both Matt and I work from the tiny house and it is a very reliable service.

      We use Verizon because it gets the best reception up on our mountain.

      Delete
  3. I've been following your blog for a while, mostly during the building phase. I would have never figured you for MMORPG players. Outstanding! I'll definitely be adding you to my reader again.

    I would be very interested in details for your 4G repeater.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm just north of Durham and have been trying to build a small house. But the laws in Vance and Durham counties are tough, plus those coded by the state of NC. Even if I put up a shed 12 x 12, (maximum size) and say it is for storage, I am not allowed to live in it. After hearing a speaker on small houses who said water was critical, I did hook up to a neighborhood water line. This meant
    getting a permit and starting the whole unhappy dialog with codes.
    Part of my problem was wanting a slightly larger house to begin with. glad you're in Asheville- used to live near UNCA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking to build a 12' x 12' in Durham as well. I'm considering either working with local officials to get it zoned properly as residential or just zoning it as a shed and seeing what happens. How did your project work out?

      Delete
  5. I just want to say how awesome it is to come across a tiny house blog written by geeks! My two great loves come together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Doesn't building an outdoor kitchen defeat the purpose of having a tinyhome?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that depends entirely on why you build a tiny hose to begin with. We enjoy the land where our home is and want to spend as much time outdoors as possible. I don't think it precisely matters how large you home is to want to enjoy the natural world surrounding it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Your comment will appear after moderation! Thanks for visiting!