The last post before we move!

The next time you see a new post from me, I will be in residence at our tiny house in the woods half way up our mountain. I couldn't be more excited. We've been packing up our apartment. We have just a few small boxes that will actually go up to the house with us. The rest of our stuff will either go in to our storage unit for future use or be donated to Good Will. Tomorrow, we finish all of our packing and some of our cleaning. Then we rent a truck on Tuesday and move everything out just to be left with ourselves, Piglet and an air mattress.  On Wednesday, we will load up our own cars and leave for Asheville.

My last day of work at my job was on Friday. I feel both liberated and terrified. I'm working toward having all my work be location independent and so far I have a few freelance writing jobs.  Once we're settled, I'm looking forward to working hard on getting some more work. I am also thinking I would love to work part time for one of the breweries in Asheville - and there are a few. There is so much I don't know about what will happen next that the exhilaration is occasionally overwhelming.

So, the next time you see a new post my new life will be under way. This blog will transition from building a 120 square foot house to living in it. See you on the other side! 



"I ain't turning back to living that old life no more."

Comments

  1. Congratulations on the feelings of this new part of your life! It is a whirlwind of emotions and I've been right there. Everyone wishes you well and I hope that you will thrive in your new home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations and many well-wishes from down here in the ATL! I well remember feelings of scared and elated and anticipation and just a whirlwind and a jumble. Best of luck to you and yours in your new adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great blog! Thanks for sharing. I'm most curious about how the two of you will do your location-independent work in your tiny house. It seems that living space would need to be traded in order to have a comfortable home office. Where/how do you plan on working, keeping computers, a printer, files and books, etc? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a great question, Ali. In fact I may do a more in depth post about it.

      Matt works almost exclusively from his tablet computer. He is able to log into his company's networks from there. Occasionally he needs to access things from his laptop but usually that is for a finite project. He can take conference calls from anywhere inside or outside the house. We have a 4G internet signal on our wireless hotspot so the connection is great with the outside world.

      My home office consists of my laptop which, during ht day, I set up at the corner of the dining room table to work. We have a printer, but because of the type of work we do we rarely use it. Right now it is in a box down at the barn and if we need to print something we'll bring it up and print and take it back. It is rare that something needs to be printed. We spent a lot of time before the move transitioning everything to paperless. All of our files are on our computer - we have a scanner app on the tablet in case we need to transfer something. All of our books are electronic. All of my research can be done on the internet. And then, when the work day is over we shut down our laptops and tablets and put them away.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Your comment will appear after moderation! Thanks for visiting!