Bathing a tiny cat in a tiny house

Piglet is a Sphynx. Without hair to absorb their body's natural oils, sphynx cats have to be bathed regularly. Not wanting to traumatize Piglet too much after a big move into a tiny house, I hadn't yet given her a bath since we moved. But I decided that today was the day. 


I got the tools for the job.
This included the bath gloves to make it easier to wash and hold the wet and squirmy cat at the same time. Also, Q-tips and ear cleaner, a nail clipper for her claws and alcohol free zit treatment pads for her chin - because my cat gets acne like a 15 year old child.

I also got her special shampoo - Emu Oil.  It has been recommended by other sphynx owners and I really love the stuff.  I also started heating up some water to make her bath nice and warm.

I filled up our shower sprayer with some cool water so when I added the heated water it would be the perfect temperature.

There is no photographic evidence of me actually bathing the cat. This is purely for practical reasons. I had on the bath gloves, Piglet was wet and I was trying to hold her in the shower and soap her up at the same time. I hadn't considered the logistical aspects of washing a cat in the tiny house. I've never washed her without a bathtub. She kept trying to simply walk out of the shower stall.  It was difficult to hold her down.

Once she was washed; I cleaned her ears and her chin and clipped her claws. I do this while she is wrapped in a towel like a little kitty burrito. She is also usually growling or hissing when I do this but I find it is just easier to get it over with. Once she is done with the bath, Piglet gets many treats to make up for any discomfort. She tends to forget she was angry very quickly.

 And here is the beast trying to fix my infernal meddling. 

Comments

  1. Hi, I am Amber's Mom. Your description of the cat growling or hissing during a bath sounds exactly like what happens when I give Jonas a shower! He hates them! I never thought of a treat after. I love your blog and your lifestyle choice. My husband could definately live in a Tiny House but NOT in the woods. Amber's sister could live your way. She already has been living in a tent for the last few years, now in Oregon. She prefers no electricity but has to use it once in awhile. I give you a lot of credit for reducing your carbon footprint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where did you find the Emu Oil Shampoo? I found one website, but the shipping was the same price as the actual product!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got the Emu Oil from a company in Australia: http://www.emu-shop.com/ The shipping was as much as the product but because I had heard such rave reviews about the shampoo I was willing to give it a shot. It works great, too. I just figured it in to the cost and because she is small a bottle of the stuff could last years.

      Delete
  3. I know that I am late in commenting, but feline acne is often caused by bacteria harbored in micro-cracks in plastic dishes. Abby the Tabby's acne cleared up once I changed her plastic water dish for ceramic. Love the blog -- I also live in the mountains near Asheville.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice. We've used stainless steel or ceramic bowls for Piglet since she was a kitten. The skin on a sphynx's chin is just ultra sensitive because it has no hair.

      Delete
  4. Hi I have been reading your blog as I am interested in building a Tiny house (not on a trailer) in Western NC. I am looking in Henderson County for land....I was wondering...did you have to get permits for any of the building on your property? Thank You
    Ray in Hendersonville

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Morning Ray. Thanks for reading 120 Square Feet! I'm afraid I'm just not familiar with the laws in Henderson County. Permits and zoning really depending on your country and specific municipality so I would check in the area and see what you can learn.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comment will appear after moderation! Thanks for visiting!