Land Stuff

When it comes to building a tiny house on 15 acres in the mountains of North Carolina, sometimes the work doesn't revolve around the tiny house itself. This past weekend was one of those weekends.  We're planning for an annual Fourth of July camp out with some friends and so we needed to get some general maintenance tasks done. 

I had Friday off of work so we went up to Asheville that day.  On the way in, we stopped at a local futon store to check out some futon options since we decided that might be the best mattress option for the loft.  We got some ideas and plan to go back soon to pick that up.  Once we got to the land on Friday we did some little projects up at the house.

We started by installing the matching light on the other side of the house. 



The only thing I can't manage to do is get a photo of the WHOLE house.  Wouldn't think it would be took difficult to do such a thing in such a tiny house. But it is.  
We also installed the outdoor porch light.  






I was trying to get a photo of the house but the trees and the sun weren't making it easy. So I got this photo of Matt talking on the phone.  

Once the little house stuff was done, it was time to do some other general land tending stuff.  Some of it was done Friday afternoon and some on Saturday, but I lost track of what we did when. I did some work cleaning the barn and getting ready to set up a kitchen area for our party.  Matt did some weed whacking around the barn.  I filled up water jugs from the spring.  We picked sticks up from the main pathways.  And, most importantly, I spent a lot of time with Poison Ivy-geddon. That stuff is the bane to my existence.  I so much as look at it and I get a reaction.  I show no mercy.  

We did some fun stuff.  We went to a local music festival that was great fun.  

 We have more work to do before our annual party.  Stay tuned for more details.

Comments

  1. I love reading about y'alls weekends. thank you for sharing. Oh, I wanted to ask, I am sure I missed the post but what did y'all do the exterior with (material wise?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you enjoy it.

    The exterior, when finished, will be a faux board and baton look. The siding is just plywood stained in a dark color (Espresso was the name of it). When we get to the trim it will have batons spaced evenly around the house. It is intended to mimic the rustic look of the 100+ year old barn on the property. Remind me to get a photo of that to compare sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Laura!

    Thanks so much for sharing your experiences. My husband and I have giddily been reading your posts because we've been inspired to go the tiny home route as well, and are specifically interested in NC. Incidentally, we found you on the Tiny Life blog by googling "North Carolina small home"). :)

    Right now we're in the process of trying to find land (beginners!), and I was wondering if you'd mind sharing how you went about searching for your land. We're not in NC now, so looking online remotely and getting in touch with brokers who actually have parcels available has been a bit challenging. I would greatly appreciate any advice you could offer.

    Thank you so much!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comment will appear after moderation! Thanks for visiting!