Walls Walls Walls

I know, I fail at photo taking lately.  This trip I did have my camera with me and after taking only a few photos of some newly blooming spring flowers, the camera battery died.  I hadn't thought to bring the back up battery or the charger with me, so this building weekend once again came and went with out photos. 

Photos would be good here because what we built were very tiny walls inside a very tiny house.  Super cute little walls on either side of the front door that will eventually be tiny closets once they are finished.

Matt actually went up to Asheville on Thursday of last week.  He spent most of his time up there working his real day job which he can do remotely.  At other times, he was able to finish the interior insulation that we started as well as build an, um, attachment to be mounted on both gables inside to be able to attach the interior wall siding.  It was a clever contraption and I really wish I had photos of it.  Essentially, the inside of both gable ends were constructed on the last roof timbers so there wasn't anything that we could attach the interior paneling to. Matt constructed a device using angle cut 2x4s to mount to the inside of the gables which fit around the framing for the window and now will allow us to install the interior siding. 

I drove up to Asheville early on Saturday morning (I left Atlanta at 6am and arrived at 9am).  We took our time that morning because it was going to be cold.  In fact, it had even snowed when Matt was there by himself.  It was supposed to warm up, and it did.  Saturday turned into a beautiful day.  The day started when we took my Honda Element (which we could never have built this house without) to Lowe's to gather some additional supplies. Specifically, we needed 20 2x4s to construct the interior walls.  We looked at some finishing items like lighting and tile, but we aren't ready to by that.  Once we got up to the land, we spent that time finishing the very last insulation panels and the gable end contraptions.  We finished up before dark, cleaned up the space and headed back to Asheville for the night as it was way too cold to camp.  We are hoping that by the next trip we will be able to camp again.  I miss it. 

On Sunday, we got up to the land early and began work on the interior walls.  We measured and built the second wall in the kitchen but didn't install it since we have some finish work to do before that can be permanently put in place.  Then we measured and cut all the wood for the tiny closet doors.  We were able to install one of them completely before I wanted to pack up and go home.  Since I was driving by myself, I wanted to get back to Atlanta before dark. I left the mountain at 3pm and made it back to Atlanta, with a stop for dinner, by 7. 

We'll be back in two weeks and this time I promise that a large part of my job that weekend will be to get photos of all the things that I have missed in so far. That trip will be a fun one as the intention is to rent a Home Depot truck and get all of the supplies we need to finish the interior of the house including the materials for the loft floors, for the interior siding and for the kitchen cabinets.  Since we hope to camp and since the house is now able to be lit by plugging it into our generator (and soon, solar panels), we intend to be able to work past dark for the first time since we started this project.  That is a good feeling, too. 

Stay tuned for more adventures from Mt. Matt. 

Comments